Brother Naushad Mehrali has been serving as the head of Madressa Centre of Excellence (MCE) since 2011. Having served as a madressa Principal and teacher for several years, he feels very fortunate to be given the opportunity to take on this role.
In his discussion with interviewer, Sakina Datoo, Naushad explains how the MCE came about, beginning with a Madressa Retreat which was held in Dubai in February 2011. Attended by 82 participants from 25 localities throughout the world, the retreat addressed core issues on our Madrasahs around the world and produced an Action Plan for The World Federation to take forward. Read more
One of the key recommendations that came out of the retreat was the need to set up a global structure within the Islamic Education board of The World Federation that would then address the needs of the madaris. Since then, the MCE has worked on several areas of madaris, including curriculum and teacher development and resources.
Naushad touched on several issues including:
• What Madressa Centre of Excellence (MCE) is;
• How the MCE developed and came about;
• What has been achieved since 2011;
• How the funds on MCE have been spent and his views on some criticism received by the community on the level of funds spent in this area;
• Feedback that has been received on the MCE programme so far; and
• What still needs to be achieved.