Thanks to the support of donors who continue to donate to the Pakistan Relief Fund, The World Federation funded the construction of 14 new homes across 13 villages in Tehsil Ahmedpur Sial in Pakistan’s Punjab province.
Updated on 12 March 2018
According to the United Nations, Iraq is struggling with one of the largest internally displaced populations in the world where an estimated 1.8 million people are displaced at the hands of the extremist insurgent group known as ISIS (Da’esh). The UN has declared this humanitarian crisis as a ‘level three emergency’ - the highest possible emergency level.
- Over 1.8 million people are displaced within Iraq
- The current threat of ISIS (Daesh), Islamic State in the north means that this flow of people from the north to the south is unlikely to slow in the near future
- There are currently approximately 500,000 Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) in Southern Iraq
- IDPs in the south of Iraq are largely clustered in Mawakib on the road from Najaf to Karbala, and on the road from Najaf to various southern cities
- Many IDPs in this region are currently without adequate housing, sheltering in unfinished buildings and inadequate tents.
- This also poses serious concerns surrounding communicable diseases, as a result of the limited access to clean water and sanitation
Approximately 200,000 IDPs in the region, or 30,000 families, are at risk of becoming homeless again in November 2014, when the temporary shelters they have taken refuge in will be occupied once again for the commemoration of Arba’een.
PLEASE DONATE - IRAQ RELIEF FUND - SHORT TERM HUMANITARIAN RESPONSE
|According to the United Nations, Iraq is struggling with one of the largest internally displaced populations in the world where an estimated 1.8 million people are displaced at the hands of the extremist insurgent group known as ISIS (Da’esh). The UN has declared this humanitarian crisis as a ‘level three emergency’ - the highest possible emergency level.|
This Muharram, please “Welcome a Family” who is displaced and has found refuge in Najaf, Karbala and the south of Iraq by gifting them with a ‘Home Comfort Kit’. Our goal is to raise $1 million USD to provide kits to 1,000 families. Each kit costs $1,000 and includes:
- Winter Aid Packs (blankets, pillows, heaters, clean water)
- Hygiene Kits (towels, toothbrushes, toothpaste, shampoo, dishwashing and laundry detergent, Feminine hygiene products, soap and baby diapers
- Emergency shelters and transitional housing
- Food ration
- Water and sanitation services and systems
- Emergency educational facilities
- Emergency healthcare facilities
We urge Jamaat leaders, youth groups, schools, madrasahs, seniors and others to unite with our cause this Muharram and Safar and fundraise for Iraq.
As we enter the month of Muharram, we remember the oppression and tragedies that Imam Husayn (as), his family and companions endured at the hands of the tyrants. With the calling of Imam Hussain (as): “Is there anyone who will come to assist us? Is there anyone who will respond to our call for aid?” The internally displaced people of Iraq deserve to fall into the category of this calling, after facing a continued vicious campaign by ISIS of execution, torture, pillaging of their homes and places of worship, which is also stated by the Human Rights Watch. Moreover Al Monitor Iraq Pulse go on to describe their livelihoods been taken away and destroyed especially concerning the rural farmers who were the driving force of Iraq’s agricultural sector.
Thank you for your support.
To download the poster, click on the PDF file attached.
Donate directly to your Jamaat Treasurer
The cost of building one well in Kenya is £1,150 GBP / $1,750 USD / $2,300 CAD. This amounts to only £3 GBP / $5 USD / $6 CAD a day. Your donation, great or small will support the construction of urgently needed water wells and ensure that families have easy access to clean and safe water.
One of the initiatives of The World Federation is to support microfinance projects to encourage economic upliftment within our community. This is done in a number of ways including supporting new and existing businesses.